Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Bee in my Easter Bonnet

I got home from Weight Watchers, poured myself a cup of coffee and told my mom I was going outside to commune with nature.  Switching on the fountain, I sat down to enjoy the delicious tranquility of my backyard.  Wisteria plants are in full bloom; wrapping around the patio post and covering the trellis behind the fountain.  The profusion of purple blossoms is a treat to both the visual and olfactory senses.  Unfortunately the bees are attracted as well.

For a couple of years we have seen huge black bees, some the size of a small walnut, darting across the yard plant to plant, the patio becoming the center of their flight path.  We assumed they were bumblebees but after a little research it appears they are Carpenter bees.  If that is true the males do not sting.  That is a bit of a relief but I am still not comfortable with them zooming by interrupting my Zen moment.  According to Google, they burrow into wood but do not eat it like a termite does.  That is also good to know.

Before I went outside, I told my mom I hoped the bees would leave me alone.  I came in a few minutes later explaining that the bees were out and flitting around wildly.  She said, “I was going to ask if the bees won.”

“They won,” I said.

*                      *                      *

My weight stayed the same this week and of course I was disappointed at first.  I only needed to lose six tenths of a pound to reach my fifteen-pound mark.  Then I realized that staying the same exact weight is not an easy task since the scale weighs to a tenth of a pound.  That is crazy.  I followed the plan, actually not using all my points each day and I wore a different top at weigh in.  I normally wear the same pants and top each week but the tee I wear was in the wash.  I also went on a hike with my cancer support group.  There are so many variables and yet my weight stayed exactly the same.  That almost seems physically impossible.

I am trying really hard not to get discouraged by my extremely slow weight loss.  I have complained about it so much I am sure people are tired of listening to me.  I am going to accept it and continue to move forward.  There is no choice; I need to eat healthy to stay healthy.  That is the most important part of this effort.  I am also tired of people pointing out that it is harder to lose weight as we age.  I get it; I am not a spring chicken anymore.  But you know other than a few aches and pains, I still feel like a spring chicken. 

*                      *                      * 

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment